25 September 2012

books i done got this weekend


With a nod to Raych, whose blog name was dancing about in my head when I wrote this post...

I love it when I arrive at work on Sunday mornings to find boxes and envelopes stacked high on my chair.  The book delivery pixies always seem to be hard at work on Friday and Saturdays (my days off), so my work week gets off to a great start by opening multiple shipments of free books.  If only every day started like that!

Some of these I've read before, like the two paperbacks from Algonquin, Running the Rift and When She Woke. They're wildly different but both are excellent.  Algonquin is a relatively small, independent publisher, and they simply don't waste their time by publishing crap. They also sent me a finished copy of Life Among Giants, which I've not read yet.

Macmillan sent me a finished copy of Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, which I'll be reading soon on my vacation 'cause my sales rep Bob gave me the ARC for it.

The top two books in the stack I received on request from Michael, one of my Random House reps. I've never read Jonathan Dee before, but I peeked at the first few pages and liked them. Beneath that book is a novel called The Dinner, forthcoming from Hogarth Press, and I'm excited about that one, too.

The rest of the stack came from my MPS rep, Bob, who dropped by the store to tempt me with these for more vacation reading. I loved Alan Brennert's two books set in the Hawaiian islands, but this new is a modern day domestic story. There's also the new book from Jamaica Kincaid, whose Caribbean writings I just love, but this novel seems to be a departure from her usual settings.  The Imposter Bride looks like a nice period romp through post-WWII Montreal, while the Lauren Willig is marketed as Out of Africa meets Downton Abbey. How could I resist that one? I read one of her books in the Pink Carnation series, and while I didn't love it, it was light & fun, so I have a feeling that her new book just might find its way into my suitcase.

So huzzah to free books!  Now the hard part is deciding which ones I'll read, and in what order...

8 comments:

  1. That Lauren Willig sounds fantastic! I'd not heard of that one -- adding it to the wishlist for next spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was entirely new to me, too, until it arrived. I'll keep you posted!

      Delete
  2. Numero uno - I am green at all the freebies you get.I would never be able to read all those books but I'm still incredibly jealous. Reading on my nook gets so pricey.
    Two: As a Downton Abbey fan, Willig's Ashford Affair sounds like my cup of tea - did you read Julian Fellowes "SNOBS"? I loved that modern day story of royal society.
    And finally I coincidentally read Jamaica Kincaid's tiny GIRL last night and am ashamed to admit I've not read any of her novels. Hopefully I'll change that with "See Now Then"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't read SNOBS, but I am listening to an audio of another one of his books called Past Imperfect, which, while longish, is a good production.

      Delete
  3. How does a girl ever pick which one first? What a lovely, lovely problem you have today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed--it is a good problem to have. Honestly, I think I'll have to pick the one that says it's Out of Africa meets Downton Abbey.

      Delete
  4. Whoa! That's a bundle of books!! I've got another one for you too!! You won A Cupboard Full of Coats on my blog :) I'll email for your mailing address :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? I won something? I've never won anything from a blog before. Yay!

      Delete

Please, sir, may I have some more? (Comments, that is!)