11 January 2014

Mini Readathon: Post the First

I have NEVER ever taken part in a readathon before, but this year I'm participating in Tika's Mini Readathon. This one is special, in that it assumes that snacks are at least as important as more important than the reading itself, and it goes for a civilized amount of time.  These two concepts I can get behind. The fact that my favorite ladies in the blogosphere will be participating?  Well, that's just the icing on my cupcake! (Get it? It's a mini cake.)

You see, the theme here is mini.  Any justification that we can apply to food, drink, or book to relate it to mini will work.  And apparently the more outlandish, the better.

Here is what I plan to read:

boy, snow, bird by Helen Oyeyemi. I need to read this for work, and it fits in with the readathon because the title is written in all minuscule, that is, lower case, letters on my advance read copy. PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE LETTERING ON THE IMAGE TO THE LEFT. Minuscule, as opposed to majuscule (upper case letters), is clearly mini. I also earn points from my husband for using typographical terms for my reading. Also, the title is made up of very small, one could almost say mini, words.

All Our Names by Dinaw Mengestu.  I need to read this one for work, too, but I'm not sure of the mini-justification yet. Maybe I could say that it counts as mini because the title is made up of very short words, but I hate to use the same justification more than once. If nothing else, I could read it on my Kobo, which has a mini-screen, but I'm hoping that after I begin it that I will come up with a  better justification.  Besides, I'd rather read my book and not an e-book.



In between those rather heavy books, I intend to cleanse my readerly palate with some of my favorite books from childhood: Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery and Pippi Goes on Board and Pippi In the South Seas by Astrid Lindgren. These qualify as mini because I read them as a child; i.e. as a mini-person. Everybody here probably has read one or the other, so I don't imagine there's a need to share the images of Anne or Pippi, though they are the bestest.

Now, on to the most important part: the snacking!

Here are the items I am already planning to snack on. No doubt I will improvise others throughout the day:

I used a penny to give 'em scale
I've been saving these mini beauties since Christmas, when my brother and sister-in-law sent them to us.  Baby brick cheese and baby summer sausage?  Score!  Double points because they are from Wisconsin, where I was born--i.e., where I was a mini-person.

Everything that I drink today shall be imbibed via these mini shotglasses, which were a present from my Secret Santa this year.  I will start out with coffee, water, and juice, but by late afternoon I will switch to booze. Mini margarita has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

Mini pieces of ginger, swathed in dark chocolate.  You know, for health. I received these for Christmas from one of my granddaughters.

Behold the mini mango sorbet.  I was telling my friend Liz yesterday just how stoked I was about today's mini readathon and she started getting really into it, helping me plan the justifications for all of the books I need to read.  Then she presented me with this piece de resistance as I was leaving her house. For clearly I will need a mango sorbet pick-me-up at some point during the 'thon. I daresay it will be even more refreshing than a turn about the room.

So that's that.  I think I've convinced my husband to take the day off and read along with me. I couldn't be happier about the prospect of sitting across from him all day and annoying him with the updates from all of the other readathonners, but I confess that I'm a little concerned about having to share my snacks. After all,  I didn't plan for two people to be eating them.  But since he just cooked breakfast, aka petit dejeuner, for me, and since petit is clearly a synonym for mini, I suppose I should just get my share on and stop being stingy.  Besides, Miss Marilla Cuthbert considers stinginess to be one of the worst traits a person can have and I want Marilla to approve of me so that I can stay at Green Gables.

I am so ridiculously excited about our day that it's a good thing I'm not a small dog, or else the floor would be quite wet by now, but enough about me now.  What are y'all reading and eating today? What are you most looking forward to?

14 comments:

  1. Oh - you have a mini blast today! Do not dare have a big, giant blast. It is not allowed. I'll look forward to your updates as I live very large today at the Mega Mall and the warehouse sized grocery store and, oh, wait, I am going to MiniNails today to get my nails done... Score!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah! Belle, you could always just dip into the mini readathon for a little while. That would be the ultimate mini!

      Delete
  2. You are rocking this minithon, madame! I love the snack pics with the penny for scale. Also, I need those mason jar shot glasses in my life.

    Oyeyemi! I loved White is for Witching so very much. So much. I hope boy, snow, bird is good!

    MINITHONWARD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read Oyeyemi before, so I'm excited.

      You know what is more exciting? Your coining of the word "minithonward". Love that.

      Delete
  3. Emily! I love how excited you're getting by this, you remind me of me with my first readathon! (it was a 24 hour one. I read for probably 20 hours. Wouldn't recommend it.)

    I honestly and truly don't even know what I'm starting with, and I have like 3 minutes to decide. I think it might have to be Nora Ephron, because when in doubt, Nora is always the correct choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 24 hours is ridiculous unless there is scheduled napping and plenty of it.

      Nora is always great. Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. I comment you on using typography as part of your mini justification. That is beautiful.

    THOSE MINI MASON JAR SHOT GLASSES ARE ADORABLE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enthralled with the theory of mini mason shot glasses. they do, however, necessitate frequent refilling in practice.

      Delete
  5. For a first-time 'thonner, your mini justifications are quite advanced. My husband will also be joining me for most of the day. Good thing he brought his own snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You go girl! -mini message

    ReplyDelete
  8. "(Get it? It's a mini cake.)" Ahahahahahaha

    And omg mini margaritas. And dark chocolate-covered ginger. I AM HAVING MINITHON SNACK ENVY. *eats more hummus*

    Your justifications are also excellent.

    ReplyDelete

Please, sir, may I have some more? (Comments, that is!)