04 April 2011

Must-Read Monday: New in Paperback!

   A Thread of Sky by Deanna Fei.  Lin Yulan, a revolutionary  and leader of the Chinese feminist movement, reluctantly returns to her homeland after a self-imposed exile for a guided tour of "the new China" with her two daughters and three granddaughters in an effort to heal their collective estrangement.  Each woman arrives in China with her own agenda, and each discovers that some secrets are simply too heavy to bear alone.  This powerful, intricately woven first novel is a meditation on grief & recovery, strength & vulnerability, and the urgency to leave one's mark on the world.  Three generations of women exploring their cultural heritage and navigating their generational differences: think Amy Tan  or Julia Alvarez.  A very promising debut!  

Also, Russian Winter just released in paperback this week.  Click here to read my first review of it.  

5 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I'm a big fan of Amy Tan, so this might be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm anxious to get a copy of this one soon. Sounds like it has many elements that I enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a wonderful novel, and, since I love Amy Tan, I have to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I think this one is quite satisfying to read, particularly because it's a first novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And my TBR list grows and and grows when I visit your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Please, sir, may I have some more? (Comments, that is!)