23 January 2011

Book Review in Brief: The Fates Will Find Their Way by Hannah Pittard

 The Fates Will Find Their Way by Hannah Pittard is so wholly fresh and inventive that I read it start to finish in practically one sitting.  From the uncommon point of view (a group of boys collectively acts as a first-person-plural narrator) to the plot ambiguities that keep the reader constantly guessing what is true and what is supposition, this book is more than just the story of a 16 year old girl who goes missing and the effect her disappearance has on her family, her classmates, and her small town. It is a story of unintended consequences, a tale of imagination and self-reflection,  a multi-generational coming of age narrative, and above all, it proves that the most haunting words in our language are "what if?"

Though the book goes on sale Tuesday, I read this book several months ago when my sales rep from Harper, Anne DeCourcey, pressed an advance readers copy of this book into my hands and assured me that it was worth my time.  Boy, was it! I took it home and read it that weekend, then came back to the store to make other people read it, too.  We unanimously decided to choose Fates for our First Editions Club selection for January, so she'll be at our store very soon.  I also had the unrivaled pleasure of meeting Hannah last week in Washington, DC, at a bookseller dinner hosted by HarperCollins, which you can read about in my previous post.  If you like innovative fiction and are on the lookout for the next big literary thing, do yourself a favor and pick up Hannah's book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, sir, may I have some more? (Comments, that is!)