03 June 2015

What I Read In May: A Big Fat Nothing...



...but I might be able to work up a mini book review just for you.

Seriously, folks.  I didn't finish a single book in May.  This is probably the first month in my 40 years of reading that I've not finished a book, and it astounds me every time I think about it. 

There are reasons (travel to Ireland) and there are Reasons (private). Life has been difficult lately, and it's probably going to get harder before it gets better.  Any spare prayers or good vibes or Magic 8 Ball answers you can send my way would be terrific.  I'm being utterly in earnest. I don't want to bog down my space here, which is purportedly dedicated to books and travel, by talking too much about my personal life. Sharing that much in a public space isn't really me, but it's also true that I'm in need of  any support you can share over the ether. Please and thank you.


Last night I met a terrific author whose debut novel I pretty much fell in love with. Her name is Leslie Parry, and she's as adorable and fun as her photo indicates.  Plus just look at her shoes. She was raised in Pasadena, California, where she worked in television and film for a while, before moving to Chicago where she now lives with her two lazy but wonderful cats.  If you really want to get her animated, ask her about her dog back home in California, whom she misses like crazy, or the goats and chickens she would like to raise one day.





Church of Marvels is a many-splendored thing, tying together various narratives from the most colorful characters, exploring the darker underbelly of fin de siecle New York City. We get side show characters from Coney Island, we have a character who wakes up in an insane asylum with no clear knowledge of how she got there, and there's one poor young man who is a night soiler.  That is, he cleans the privies on the lower east side by hand. By the time I started to anticipate just how their stories would become intertwined, it was too late – I was so mesmerized that I had to finish the last 200+ pages in one long stretch. 

Just read this book.  It's fun.  It's atmospheric. It's well-written. And it ends beautifully. There are lots of good novels out there that fall apart at the end, or that don't know how to end. Leslie Parry could teach a master class on how to end a novel, however. 

28 comments:

  1. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. I hope June is better than May, in books & in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really mean it. I appreciate all of your positive thoughts and prayers.

      Delete
  2. So sorry, Emily. Good thoughts coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really appreciate and good thoughts you can spare my way.

      Delete
  3. Good vibes to Emily! Good vibes to Emily! Hope things get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily - I've been checking in regularly and was becoming concerned for you as you hadn't posted in such a long while.
    Sending all good wishes from this side of The Pond and hope things ease up before too long. Thinking of you, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. PRAYERS, HUGS AND THOUGHTS FOR YOU

    *hugs extra hard from far away*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely sending good vibes! I've missed seeing your posts and hope that everything gets better and brighter soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's breaking my heart to think of you not your usual happy, great-vibrations self! Hugs, great big ones, and prayers that things get better for you soon. I'll be thinking of you, so many people will, hopefully there's some comfort there:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry for the hard times sending ALL the good thoughts and prayers and internet hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every bit of my good thoughts are headed your way, honey girl. Belle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes things have to get worse before they get better, but they will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Em, you know what you need - go for it!! Big hugs from LAS, good vibrations and happy thoughts to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Y'all, I can't tell you what this means to me. Lately, simple expressions of support and love have just completely undone me. That you would take the time to leave comments like this leaves me with tears in my eyes. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Emily, you are sweet and kind and generous, you deserve much happiness, pack up and head for AXA, it will heal your soul.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ms. Em, we all love you so much, and are sending you happy thoughts and healing vibes and lots of love!!!! BIG HUGS!!!!!
    Love,
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry that things have been rough lately. Sending prayers and good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Emily,

    Even though May was a slow month for you in reading. I have been following your blog and reviews.

    You have been nominated by me for the Liebster Award in blogging.

    If you want to participate and learn more, visit: http://amandasthinkingoutloud.blogspot.com/

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It goes without saying that my heart, thoughts and prayers are with you every second of every day.....much love.....and super big hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Church of Marvels is one that I'd heard about already, but wasn't sure about adding to my TBR list! Good to have your recommendation! Sorry to hear you're having troubles, and I'll be thinking of you. Stopped by today because I'm updating my blogroll for Bloggiesta and I realized I haven't been seeing much of you lately! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Of course I am sending prayers your way. Wish I could do more.

    readerbuzz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know if you're reading your comments but I've been thinking about you, putting out some good thoughts and hoping that whatever is going on, is getting better. Missing your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the continued prayers and good thoughts, y'all. I really do appreciate them. June has brought a small amount of resolution and I hope to be back to blogging again on at least a semi-regular basis before the end of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad to hear June was a little better than May for you. Hopefully July will be a little better than June.
    Thinking of you

    ReplyDelete
  23. Still thinking about you and wishing you the best. Belle

    ReplyDelete
  24. Emily, just wanted to say I am thinking about you and hoping the best for you! It's not the same without your voice on the web. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Emily, Jen says it perfectly. Missing you and your voice and worrying over you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Emily, I'm a lurker on the AXA TA forum and we met a couple of years ago at Geraud's. My husband is in the publishing industry, so we have a double connection. I just realized today that I hadn't seen a post or a new blog from a recent trip and came here to make sure you were OK and sad to hear you've hit a rough spot. I hope everything is looking a bit brighter. Just know that your presence on the forum and here is missed and all good thoughts are headed your way!

    ReplyDelete

Please, sir, may I have some more? (Comments, that is!)