04 April 2013

Last Month in Review: March 2013

Lawd, I can't believe that it's been over two weeks since my last blogpost.  That just goes to show how crazy it's been at work recently and how much fun I recently had in New Orleans (about which, more anon, if by "anon" I mean tomorrow. which I do.).  I also have a new computer now, so I have no more excuses for not blogging.

On the other hand, I've been spending a lot of time brooding about the new Amazon purchase of Goodreads and deciding whether to close my account or to keep it but with heavily abbreviated usage.  In other words, I'm engaged in the time-honored battle of weighing my principles against my inherent laziness.  Those of you who know me best can probably guess which way I'll choose, but for the record, I say Boooo, Amazon!

March was a pretty good reading month for me, thanks largely to some excellent fan fiction.  In chronological order, I give you:

1. Maddie On Things: A Super Serious Project About Dogs and Physics by Theron Humphrey.  This book doesn't really count, as it has very little text, but it's a book that I love.  It's one of those books I'm glad I didn't actually spend money on (no, I didn't steal it--it was free) but am so happy that I own it 'cause I can turn to any random page and count on a smile.  Also, I met both the author and Maddie the Dog at Winter Institute in Kansas City. That dog is pretty amazing--just take a look at some of the photographs and you'll see what I mean.  Yay, rescue dogs!

2. If You Could Be Mine by Sara Farizan.  This is Algonquin's first YA book, coming out in the fall.  Deals with the oh-so-light topic of homosexuality and transgenderism in Iran. Review here.

3. You Are One of Them by Eliott Holt.  Terrific debut that is a dual coming of age novel set during the Cold War.  Review to come.

4. Three Junes by Julia Glass.  Audio book.  Review here.  I really loved this book.

5. The Promise of Stardust  by Priscille Sibley. Review here.

6. Dupont Circle by Paul Kafka-Gibbons.  This was a re-read of a book I read a good ten years ago.  Most of it held up well, and it's gratifying to see how far our country has come on the gay marriage issue since its publication.

7, 8, 9, 10. Underwater Light, Coda to an Epilogue: Twenty Years Later Or, the Kids are All Right,  If You've a Ready Mind, and Quality of Mercy by Mistful/Maya.  These are all Harry Potter fanfics and they're all novella or novel length.  Seriously, one of them was over 800 manuscript pages long.  So I'm totally counting them.  I love these.  If you can get access to them (they're no longer supposed to be available on the internet), I heartily recommend them.

11. The Illusion of Separateness by Simon Van Booy. Oh, Booy!  This is really good.  I hope to write a review one of these days.

12. Flat Water Tuesday by Ron Irwin.  This was another audio book.   Solid story, solid audio narrator.  This is a sports-triumph boarding school novel somewhat akin to A Separate Peace and Dead Poets Society. (Do not believe the comps that say it is like The Art of Fielding.  It is not, for that is as simplistic as saying that Moby-Dick and the Master and Commander series are similar because they both involve sailing.) Interestingly, this was the second book I read this year that featured a female coxswain.  I also had my eyes & ears glaze over with some of the row-speak, which is why I probably would have preferred reading this book instead of listening, as it's much easier to skim a book than a CD.

So what about y'all?  What was your favorite book in March?  Did you read any of the same books I read, and if so, what is your verdict?

13 comments:

  1. Phew... I was just getting ready to check in on you. 2 weeks is way too long. I had a great month too. Ordinary Grace is pretty darn awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks for missing me. I'll have to check out Ordinary Grace -- AND catch up on 2+ weeks' worth of blog reading!

      Delete
  2. You Are One of Them sounds interesting. I look forward to reading your thoughts!

    My favorites in March were Where'd You Go Bernadette and The Red Garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I loved Where'd You Go, Bernadette. So funny, so wry, so dark. Good stuff!

      Delete
  3. I read the Illusion of Separateness (thank you, Powell's!), and LOVED it. & then I read TransAtlantic & was like..hmm. I'm sensing a theme. & I see several more books coming out this summer that are like WE ARE ALL CONNECTED!

    For the record, I loved both the Van Booy & the McCann. But I liked the Van Booy better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never actually read McCann, but that's something I should remedy one of these days. Maybe I'll dive into his forthcoming novel.

      Delete
  4. So interesting to read your review of "Three Junes". I read this several years ago and really didn't enjoy it as I found the plot very disjointed and the story riddled with errors. Have just finished her latest "The Widower's Tale" and am sorry to say that is no better. Am giving up on Julia Glass.
    Best book of the year (so far!) is "A Possible Life" by Sebastian Faulks. It's actually five short stories and is a thoroughly enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...maybe I just like Julia Glass, because I also liked The Widower's Tale and the one about the two sisters whose name eludes me at the moment...I'd love to know what some of the errors were in Three Junes, because as a listener of the story I don't think I picked up any...

      I've read Birdsong but nothing else by Faulks. Maybe I should check it out?

      Delete
  5. Just finished reading "Light Between Oceans" and found it engrossing. I probably wouldn't have picked up this book if not for your review. Your latest blog just gave me two more excellent choices...thank you....please hurry with your New Orleans blog and pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to the Simon Van Booy book soon. I have the galley so it's just a matter of time. but I say that a lot! :-) New Orleans sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hm, favorite book of March... I'd have to go with either GOSSIP by Beth Gutcheon or TUESDAY'S GONE by Nicci French. I was surprised by GOSSIP it wasn't what I expected but it was great and TUESDAY'S GONE was a big improvement over the first in the series.

    ReplyDelete

Please, sir, may I have some more? (Comments, that is!)