14 March 2011

Book Review in Brief: You Believers by Jane Bradley

You Believers by Jane Bradley
Jesse is a sociopath hell-bent on making random women pay for the perceived sins of his mother and this is the story of those unfortunate souls who cross his path--the girls who go missing, the people who search for them, and the one young woman who survives.  This is a literary page turner of the highest order, where the darkest corners of our everyday world are limned in sinister shadow and even the bright daylight spaces are dappled with menace.  

I received an advance reading copy of this book from my old buddy, Steven Wallace, who is the sales director of Unbridled Books, one of my favorite small, independent publishers.  As someone who has been recommending books to me since I became a bookseller lo, these many years ago, he has a good eye for fiction and is a good judge of books I like to read.  He is, in short, the kind of friend that any bookseller or reader would want to have.  I don't read many thrillers because I don't like that tense, scared-of-every-small-noise-in-the-night feeling that I get when I read them, but (1) I always read what Wallace puts in front of me, and (2) how could any reader's curiosity not be piqued by a book with blurbs from writers as disparate as William Gay and Jodi Picoult?  You can click here to see what other booksellers and reviewers have had to say about this fine book. Or you can take my word for it and order a copy from your local store or library when the book releases in May.  


And whatever you do, always run away from your house if you come home and find that all of the lightswitches have been taped down into the off position because only bad things would come of that!

4 comments:

  1. Whoa! I have to pick that book up now. Great review, I got chills just reading it. I love thrillers!

    As I mentioned before, I love your site, your posts are fantastic and very well-written. Which is why I've chosen you for a Stylish Blogger Award. Check out my post at the address below to read more about the award ...

    http://booksatthepaperhouse.blogspot.com/2011/03/pay-it-forward.html

    Thanks!
    Devon
    Reading with Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devon, I really, really appreciate your kind words and your nomination. But I'm afraid that the last time I participated in a blogger award, I vowed it would actually be the last time. It's not that I'm not appreciative--it was more that it was such a tremendous time-suck for me to participate correctly. But as they say, it's an honor just to be nominated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good, and I've been in the mood lately for a good page turner. Your last sentence was especially creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure if I've ever read a thriller, other than Stephen King..... they always sound cheesy. I need a good recommendation. This one sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

Please, sir, may I have some more? (Comments, that is!)