02 October 2010

Yay! I placed third in a photo contest!



I just found out a few days ago that one of the photos I submitted to Caribbean Travel & Life magazine was named third place in the Beaches category!  It's the first year I actually submitted any photos, and though the photo they selected is not what I would have expected, I'm pleased as (rum) punch about it!

The photo is of a small fishing boat on Barnes Bay, Anguilla, and I took it one day this summer while walking from the beach to our rental car.  I had actually made some more interesting photographs of the fishermen themselves (with their permission), but I didn't know at the time that I'd have to have them sign a release form in order to enter those photos in the contest.  C'est la vie, I suppose. 

My friend Kristen from the Fodor's Caribbean travel forum won first place in the Nature category for a whimsical shot of a swimming iguana, and I was pleased for her, too.  Of course she won a 3-night stay at the stunning Ladera in St. Lucia, so I was a little jealous of her, too.  Which doesn't mean I'm sneezing at my own, more modest prize package, chock full o' digital camera goodies like photo editing software, a nice camera bag, a tripod, and a few other items. I can't wait for them to arrive so I can try them out!

And of course the best part of all this is that now my husband really cannot complain about pausing for all of my photo-ops -- because they just might pay off in the future.  And this prize comes just in time for me to start accumulating photos for next year's contest: we leave for Anguilla again on Thursday for a short getaway.  I think I may have found a third calling.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, sir, may I have some more? (Comments, that is!)